Oh date night – It’s a sacred rite of married life that can give you the opportunity to give your union a little boost. It’s the perfect time to bond with your spouse and let off a little steam; but even in the perfect of circumstances, date night can very easily become mundane and be seen as a waste of your hard earned money. Don’t let date night fall by the wayside.
If your go-to trick for shaking up your date night routine seems to always come down to spending a little extra cash on a typical evening out, you may be missing out on some great experiences and big opportunities for adding some spice while saving a little money.
Staying within a budget (which is a must these days for most families) while reigniting the romance isn’t hard if you know where to start. Here are 5 tips to get you going in the right direction:
- Trade off on planning duties—and when it’s your night, keep some of the elements of date night a surprise: instead of a schedule, offer mystery. Tell your spouse to “Bring a rain poncho” and then leave the rest to their imagination.
1. Cut the routine
- Go beyond dancing classes and cooking lessons and get wild: learn trapeze or go rock climbing. Show your partner your physical prowess and get fit together in the process.
2. Get physical
- Experience your city’s live entertainment options (something we all say we want to do but rarely get around to) by using sites like Goldstar.com for ideas and half-priced tickets.
3. Motivate to get cultural
- If you know your hubby or wife is going to have a tough day at the office plan ahead for something low effort and uplifting—like a stand-up comedy show.
4. Think ahead
- Turn a casual evening into an event by dressing up like it’s prom night all over again and bring flowers as a surprise, or throw a unique twist into an old favorite: arrange an “impromptu” picnic in the park with your partner’s favorite Chinese take-out.
5. Transform the mundane to the memorable