If you’re anything like me, choosing snacks for your family can sometimes become a harrowing experience. With all of the saturated fats and high fructose thingamabobs floating around in foods these days it’s hard to determine which foods are the healthier choice.
We Got Kidz is here to take some of the guesswork out of your snack buying by throwing a “snack smackdown”. We’re pitting some of your favorite snacks against each other to determine which ones are healthiest.
From yogurt to baked crackers, you’ll be surprised at which snacks come out on top.
- Nacho Flavored Tortilla Chips?Regular Potato Chips?
- Neither of these are necessarily the best snack choice but if these are what you're working with, the tortilla chips are your best bet. They have 10 less calories and 2 less grams of fat (per 1 ounce serving) than your average serving of potato chips.
- Cheese and crackers?Regular Fruit Yogurt?
- This one was a surprise to me. Your average serving of regular fruit yogurt has almost twice the calories of a serving of cheese and crackers, but in the way of dietary needs it winds up being the better choice. With over 10 grams of protein and about 1/3 of the fat, yogurt is the clear winner between these two tasty treats.
- Instant Oatmeal?Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich?
- An Apple & Cinnamon flavored package of Quaker Instant Oatmeal has almost half the calories of your typical peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If you can't bare to nix your PP&J, opt for whole wheat bread and jelly with less sugar.
- Pretzel Chips?Cheese Cracker Chips?
- If you're hankering for a salty snack, grab those pretzel crackers. They have little to no fat in comparison to those greasy cheese crackers.
- Pretzel M&M's?Hershey's Kisses?
- At some point or another a chocolate craving will hit you. With lower calories and less fat per serving, the Pretzel M&M's would be the better choice. One Hershey's Kiss has almost 23 calories. That adds up... You know you can't eat just one.
- Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins?Rice Krispie Treat?
- You'll be pleased to find out that those ooey gooey Rice Krispie treats are the healthier choice in this battle. Muffins, in general, aren't a good choice. A pack of those mini muffins has over 190 calories compared to only 90 calories in a Rice Krispie treat.
- Baked Wheat Crackers?White Cheddar Popcorn?
- You might have thought that popcorn was the healthier choice - and it is... until you start adding the toppings. The fat and salt added to make the tasty white cheddar popcorn makes it a poor choice in this battle. The baked whole wheat crackers win hands down with almost half of the fat content.