Sometimes all you feel like eating for dinner is delicious, spicy Mexican food. This craving is not uncommon and is totally understandable—it’s hard to beat all of your favorite ingredients wrapped up in a hot tortilla, whether it’s a taco, burrito or quesadilla. But what if you don’t feel like waiting for your ground beef or chicken to thaw and cook? The solution: make these totally vegetarian, insanely easy and completely delicious Tostadas Verdes.
This recipe for Tostadas Verdes combines everything you love about Mexican food—refried beans, salsa and queso fresco—and stacks it all up on a crispy tortilla shell. And while it’s messy to eat, it’s impossible not to love a tortilla, bean and queso recipe. Plus, this recipe makes 12 whole servings in just 30 minutes, so it’s easy for you to either feed a crowd or have yummy leftovers for days with no defrosting required. Try it for dinner tonight!
|2 cans (16 oz each) Rosarita Vegetarian Refried Beans||1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, drained, liquid reserved|
|2 medium avocados, pitted and peeled||1 cup chopped yellow onion|
|12 tostada shells||4 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce|
|1 can (7 oz each) salsa verde (green salsa)||1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese|
|1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro||3 limes, each cut into 4 wedges|
Calories per serving: 242
- Stir together beans and liquid from tomatoes in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover; microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes or until hot.
- Mash avocados in a medium bowl, leaving them slightly chunky. Stir in drained tomatoes and onion to make guacamole.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup beans onto each tostada shell. Top each with lettuce, guacamole, salsa verde, cheese and cilantro.
- Toast your tostadas in a 250°F oven for 2-3 minutes before beginning the recipe if you like your shells extra crispy.
- If you can’t find queso fresco in your supermarket, Monterey Jack, mozzarella and feta cheeses are all good substitutes.
This recipe is from Ro-Tel.com. Ro*Tel Tomatoes & Diced Green Chilies go beyond queso dips; they are zesty additions to everyday recipes. Check out other Ro*Tel recipes to spice up your meals.